Wednesday, August 26, 2009

RIP, Senator, May God have mercy on your soul

For a person of faith, situations like this can be difficult. Not because I don't believe in the forgiveness of God. Nope. I know God forgives. That's something that keeps me going every day.

But for many, many years, I've watched Sen. Edward Kennedy on the national stage, unrepentant, often smug, always obviously benefiting from the life to which he was born.

I was born in Okinawa to a U.S. Air Force airman and his young wife. We came back to my mother's family home in Texas not long after. Since I was a wee lass when the future senator from Massachusetts was involved in Chappaquiddick , I wasn't there watching the news and gathering knowledge for myself. That means I've been forced to learn about the incident from the memories of others.

As is common today, news accounts of this situation are relatively skewed in a manner which makes Kennedy appear a victim. As the years go by, investigations and deep looks into the incident show that may not have been the case. But the one stark reality is, the man, whether in fear or deliberate negligent behavior, left a young woman to die. There is no excuse for this.

But now that he has passed on to God's judgement, can Mary Jo's family forgive him? If they can, then I suppose, despite our disagreements with his political actions and other behaviors, so must we. Even if they cannot, we, as American Conservatives who have been dealt with so badly in situations like this by those on the left, MUST do as God does and offer our prayers for the man.

Therefore, let me be among the many who, today, say "Rest in peace, Senator. May God show you his infinite mercy and may you find eternal grace."

In your honor, Senator, I had hopes that those on the left would not use your passing as a crass way to gather steam for their own political uses. I had really hope BO Boy would not use this as another grand-stand moment. But I'm already beginning to see that I was wrong. What a shame.

Are these people really telling me they could not find SOMETHING in this man's life to discuss, remember, honor? Instead they had to make this thing all about the politics. Now that I think about, though, as others have said before me, THIS reaction is probably not a surprise at all. And it's most likely EXACTLY the action the Senator would have taken himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment